Dedicated to enhancing the quality of life in our community, Johnson County Park and Recreation District offers year-round program, activities, and special events for all ages!
For more information or to register online for the programs listed here, visit JCPRD.com/Register and complete a search for any of the activity numbers listed below. To register by phone, call 913-831-3359.
A reminder that while JCPRD’s 50 Plus programs are primarily for people who are age 50 or older, interested parties who have not yet reached that magic age may still be able to attend. Persons 18 and older who are interested in a 50 Plus class are invited to call the 50 Plus Department at 913-826-2975 for space availability.
Here’s a sampling of programs JCPRD has coming up for the week of June 4-10:
June 5 - Museum: Sensory Friendly Monday (All Ages)
- Johnson County Museum at Johnson County Arts & Heritage Center, 8788 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, 9 a.m. to Noon, $4 per person for ages up to 18, $6 per person for ages 18 to 59, and $5 per person for ages 60 and older - Come enjoy the Johnson County Museum and the newly-improved KidScape in a comfortable, low-sensory environment. This limited-occupancy monthly session is designed specifically for children with sensory processing differences and Autism Spectrum Disorders, and their families. We welcome visitors of all abilities and museum experience. We also welcome hand fidgets, comfort items, weighted blankets and vests, and mobility devices. This program is offered in partnership with Britain Development, a program of Advent Health Shawnee Mission. Activity number 26420. For questions about this program, please call 913-715-2570.
June 5 - Group Youth Swim Lessons (Ages 6 months & Older)
- Shawnee Mission School District Aquatic Center, 17251 W. 87th St., Lenexa, Mondays and Wednesdays, 27 classes in eight levels, beginning times, and class durations vary, 7 sessions, $57 per child, $63 nonresidents - Morning and evening classes available. Lesson levels include: Baby & Me, Tot & Me, Preschool A, Preschool B, Level 1, Level 2, Level 3, and Level 4. Most levels are assigned based on skill level rather than age. Find descriptions of swim levels here, or use our Swim Level Assessment Form here. Search and register for Group Swim Lessons here.
June 5-8 - Gymnastics: Summer Skills Camp (Ages 6-12)
- Mill Creek Activity Center, 6518 Vista Dr., Shawnee, Monday through Thursday, 12:30 to 3:30 pm, 4 sessions, $150 per person, $165 nonresidents - Enjoy our four-day skills camp emphasizing elements on the vault, bars, beam and floor, as well as trampoline. Appropriate for participants of all skill levels. Activity number 26007.
June 6 - Gardening: How to make Gardening Easier (Ages 50 & Older)
- Virtual Program, 2 to 3 p.m., FREE - Garden tips and adaptation allow you to garden throughout your life for as long as possible. Activity number 26877.
June 6 - Art: Acrylic Painting - Intermediate Level (Ages 16 & Older)
Johnson County Arts & Heritage Center, 8788 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, Tuesdays, 6 to 8:30 p.m., 6 sessions, $145 per person, $160 nonresidents - Learn nuances and more advanced techniques in this intermediate acrylic painting class. This class is intended for those who have taken basic acrylic class or have prior experience in acrylic and are looking to learn a bit more. All supplies included. This class will not meet on July 4, it will resume on July 11. Activity number 25625.
June 6 - Youth Tennis Lessons at Harmon Park (Ages 4-6 & 7-10)
- Harmon Park, West 77th Place & Delmar St., Prairie Village, Tuesdays and Thursdays, times vary (see below), 8 sessions, $92 per person, $101 nonresidents - NEW! Tennis lessons offered by Skyhawks at Harmon Park in Prairie Village. Whether your child is a beginning or intermediate player, this program will improve their game and help them get more enjoyment from tennis. Our tennis programs focus on skill refinement as well as practice and match play to develop consistent, well-rounded tennis players. Session for ages 4-6, 9 to 9:50 a.m., activity number 30891. Session for ages 7-10, 10 to 10:50 a.m., activity number 30892.
June 6, 7 - Exercise: Tai Chi (Ages 50 & Older)
- Roeland Park City Hall - 4600 W. 51st St, Roeland Park, Wednesdays, 10 to 10:50 a.m., 4 sessions, $38 per person, $42 nonresidents - LOW INTENSITY: Tai Chi offers a slow and gentle exercise with benefits in endurance, flexibility, and muscle strengthening. All experience levels welcome in this course. Activity number 26624.
June 6-8 - Volleyball: New Century Fieldhouse Summer Camp (Ages 7-14)
- New Century Fieldhouse, 551 New Century Parkway, near Gardner, Tuesday through Thursday, 1:30 to 3:30 p.m., 3 sessions, $65 per person, $70 nonresidents - Get in the game by participating in this three-day summer break volleyball camp held at New Century Fieldhouse in Gardner, KS. Girls and boys entering grades 3 - 8 can participate in the camp and will be split up into groups by grade and ability level as best as the coaches can. Coaches from KC Fire Volleyball Club will run the camp. Serving, passing, setting, hitting, fun drills and games will all be covered. Each participant will receive a T-shirt. Activity number 29609. For questions, please call New Century Fieldhouse at 913-826-2850.
June 6, 8, 13, 15, 20, & 22 - Open Water Swim Training (Ages 18 & Older)
- Shawnee Mission Park Beach, 7900 Renner Road, Shawnee & Lenexa, 5:30 to 6:15 p.m., $10 per person, $12 nonresidents - Looking to train for an upcoming triathlon or to change up your swim workout? JCPRD offers open water swim training on Tuesdays and Thursdays at the Shawnee Mission Park Beach. All swimmers should be able to swim 500 meters freestyle and have endurance to swim in open water conditions and must bring and wear their tow buoy float at all times while in the water. Lifeguard will be on duty. All participants must be pre-registered by 10 a.m. on the day of the training. A minimum number of participants must be registered or the practice will be canceled. If a participant is registered for a canceled practice date, a full refund will be given.
June 6, 8, 10 17, 24 & July 1 - Boating: Sailing I (Ages 18 & Older)
- Shawnee Mission Park, 7900 Renner Road, Shawnee and Lenexa, times vary, 2 - 2 hr. indoor sessions & 4 - 2 hr. outdoor sessions, $86 per person, $95 nonresidents - Learn the basic skills of sailing. Types of boats, launching techniques, docking, maintenance, and safety will be examined and studied in this class. Sailing I consists of two indoor lecture sessions and four outdoor water sessions. Indoor sessions will be held Tuesday and Thursday June 6 and 8 at the JCPRD Administration Building near Shawnee Mission Park’s Renner Road Entrance, and the outdoor sessions will take place on Saturday mornings at the Shawnee Mission Park Marina. If you wish to use your own boat, please call Park Police Officer Seth Salmans at 913-826-3491. Basic swimming skills required. Activity number 26470.
June 7 - Multi Sport: Totally Tots (Ages 3-5)
- Meadowbrook Park Clubhouse, 9101 Nall Ave., Prairie Village, 10:30 to 11:15 a.m., $4 per person, $5 nonresidents - Get active, have fun, and learn to play with new friends! Kids will get a chance to play games, learn sports, and meet new friends! Activity number 26820.
June 7 - Kansas City Symphony Concert in the Park (All Ages)
- 4th of 4 - Meadowbrook Park Great Lawn, 9101 Nall Ave., Prairie Village, 6 p.m., FREE - Musicians from the Kansas City Symphony will be performing neighborhood concerts in JCPRD parks, most with the symphony’s Mobile Music Box stage. All events are weather permitting.
June 7 - Bingo: Gone Fishin’ Bingo (Ages 50 & Older)
- Tomahawk Ridge Community Center, 11920 Lowell Ave., Overland Park, 1:30 to 3 p.m., $5 per person, $7 nonresidents - BINGO! Delight in food, prizes, fun, and 12 games of bingo. Variety of prizes awarded including gift certificates. Space is limited, register early by calling 913-831-3359. Cost of admission covers food and staff time to administer the bingo program. No additional charge for bingo. Activity number 26577. See all upcoming 50 Plus Bingo sessions.
June 7 - Alzheimer's Classes: Understanding and Responding (Ages 50 & Older)
- Meadowbrook Park Clubhouse, 9101 Nall Ave., Prairie Village, 2 to 3 p.m., FREE - Learn how to recognize common signs of Alzheimer's and dementia; how to approach someone about memory concerns; importance of early detection and benefits of diagnosis. Presentations by the Alzheimer's Association. Activity number 26871.
June 7 - Museum: Retro Storytime - “I Can Fly” (All Ages)
- Johnson County Arts & Heritage Center, 8788 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, All Ages, 10 a.m., $2 per person, $1.60 members - Preschoolers love stories from long ago, read by a special guest from the 1950s All-Electric House! Craft activity included after the story ends. “I Can Fly” - illustrated by Walt Disney Artist Mary Blair, celebrates and encourages a child’s imagination. Activity number 26416. This is the second of four monthly sessions. See all upcoming sessions.
June 8 - Cards: Bridge - No Trump in Bridge (Ages 50 & Older)
- Matt Ross Community Center, 8101 Marty St., Overland Park, Thursdays, 9 to 11 a.m., 3 sessions, $36 per person, $40 nonresidents - Take your game to the next level. Lessons on how to play No Trump, Jacoby Transfer, and Stayman. Lesson includes hands-on instruction and handouts to take home. Activity number 26900.
June 9 - Geocaching: S'mores Family Geocaching (All Ages)
- Shawnee Mission Park, Shelter #2, 7900 Renner Road, Shawnee and Lenexa, 5 to 7 p.m., $12 per person, $13 nonresidents; 20% discount for third and subsequent family members - This modern-day scavenger hunt is a great way to spend time with the family out in your local park. Each group is loaned a GPS device and given instructions on how to find the caches hidden around Shawnee Mission Park. Receive a prize after finding the caches, then enjoy hot dogs and S'mores. Activity number 26634.
June 9, & 23 - Friday Amphitheater Programs (All Ages)
- Ernie Miller Nature Center, 909 N. Kansas 7 Highway, Olathe, 7 to 7:45 p.m., $4 per person - First of a new season - Bring the family to the outdoor amphitheater at Ernie Miller Park on two specified Friday nights during June and July for entertaining and educational experiences. Each program is approximately 45 minutes to one hour in length and begins at 7 pm. In case of inclement weather, including extreme heat, these programs will be held indoors. Advance registration is recommended and closes each Friday at 4 p.m.; onsite registration is cash only, if space is available. See more about weekly amphitheater program offerings using the links below. June weekly themes are: June 9, “Birds of Prey,” activity number 26503; and June 23, “Prairie Pollinators,” 26504. For more information, call 913-826-2800.
June 10 - Fishing: Overnight Saturdays after 11 p.m. (All Ages)
- Kill Creek Park, 11670 Homestead Lane, Olathe, 11 p.m. - 5 a.m., permit fees vary - The park will be open for fishing only and park police officers will be on duty throughout the night. Before fishing, area anglers will need to have a valid Kansas fishing license, a Johnson County Park and Recreation District fishing permit, trout permit if fishing for trout, and all appropriate boat tags, if applicable. For more information about the overnight fishing program, call 913-888-4713. For all dates, activity number 26489.
June 10 - Lanesfield Historic Site - Open Hours (All Ages)
- 18745 S. Dillie Road, Edgerton, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on the second Saturday of each month, FREE - The limestone schoolhouse, the last remaining structure in the former town of Lanesfield, is the oldest operating schoolhouse in Johnson County. Students attended from 1869 - 1963 when the school closed. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988. The site today includes the original schoolhouse, four outbuildings, and a modern visitors center that houses the exhibit One-Room Schools in Kansas, a museum store, and restrooms.
June 10 - Free Day at the Johnson County Museum (All Ages)
- 8788 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., FREE - Explore the Johnson County Museum’s signature exhibition as well as the current special exhibition “Away from Home: American Indian Boarding School Stories” (which ends March 18), to gain a deeper understanding of the county’s history and growth during this free day. No pregistration required for museum entry. For more information call 913-826-2787.
June 10 - Juneteenth at the Johnson County Arts & Heritage Center (All Ages)
- 8788 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., FREE - Join us for JCAHC’s second annual Juneteenth commemoration and celebration. This family-friendly event, built with community partners, provides an opportunity to honor the history and celebrate Juneteenth with art, music, food, and more! For complete event details, visit JCPRD.com.
June 10 - Flexin’ JCPRD Disc Golf Tournament (Anyone/any age may participate in the AM session, which is casual and “just for fun;” the PM session has stricter guidelines and is for card-carrying PDGA (Pro Disc Golf Association member) disc golfers)
- Shawnee Mission Park Disc Golf Course - near North Walnut Grove, 7900 Renner Rd., Shawnee and Lenexa, 8 a.m. and Noon, $25 per player - This new tournament will benefit JCPRD’s Special Populations program. A morning session will be offered for casual/just for fun disc golfers. Register onsite. The afternoon session is a PDGA sanctioned event. For details and to register visit discgolfscene.com.