Dedicated to enhancing the quality of life in our community, Johnson County Park and Recreation District offers year-round program, activities, and special events for all ages!
For more information or to register online for the programs listed here, visit JCPRD.com/Register and complete a search for any of the activity numbers listed below. To register by phone, call 913-831-3359. For all in-person programs, physical distancing and COVID-19 safe practices will be encouraged.
A reminder that while JCPRD’s 50 Plus programs are primarily for people who are age 50 or older, interested parties who have not yet reached that magic age may still be able to attend. Persons 18 and older who are interested in a 50 Plus class are invited to call the 50 Plus Department at 913-826-2975 for space availability.
Here's a sampling of programs JCPRD has coming up for the week of Feb. 5-11:
Feb. 5 - Nature & Outdoors: Full Moon Hike (Ages 8 & Older)
- Ernie Miller Nature Center, 909 N. Kansas 7 Highway, Olathe, 6:30 to 8 p.m., $9 per person, $10 nonresidents - By the light of the silvery moon, join us for a quiet hike to connect with nature and the night sounds. Let your eyes adjust to the moonlight and experience the park after dark. Enjoy shadows and listen for owls. The full moon hike will happen even on overcast nights. Dress for the weather and wear comfortable shoes. Activity number 24652. For information, call 913-826-2800.
Feb. 5, 12, 19, and 26 - Sunday Family Series: February (All Ages)
- Ernie Miller Nature Center, 909 N. Kansas 7 Highway, Olathe, 2 to 2:45 p.m., $4 per person - Bring the family to Ernie Miller Nature Center on Sunday afternoons during January and February for entertainment and educational experiences. Each program is approximately 45 minutes to one hour in length and begins at 2 p.m. Programs are presented by park naturalists, park police officers, and volunteers. Advanced registration is required. Feb. 5 session, “Prehistoric Kansas,” 24669; Feb. 12, “Birds of Prey,” 24670; Feb. 19, “In Our Backyards,” 24671; and Feb. 26, “Ferrets in Kansas,” 24672. See all Sunday Family Series sessions. For more information, call 913-826-2800.
Feb. 6 - Museum: Sensory Friendly Monday (All Ages)
- Johnson County Museum at Johnson County Arts & Heritage Center, 8788 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, 9 a.m. to Noon, $4 per person for ages up to 18, $6 per person for ages 18 to 59, and $5 per person for ages 60 and older - Come enjoy the Johnson County Museum and KidScape in a comfortable, low-sensory environment. This limited-occupancy monthly session is designed specifically for children with sensory processing differences and Autism Spectrum Disorders, and their families. We welcome visitors of all abilities and museum experience. We also welcome hand fidgets, comfort items, weighted blankets and vests, and mobility devices. Activity number 24552. For questions about this program, please call 913-715-2570.
Feb. 7 - Preschool Planetarium Programs: P is for Planet (Ages 3 & Older)
- Ernie Miller Nature Center, 909 N. Kansas 7 Highway, Olathe, 10:30 to 11 a.m., $5 per person, including adults - NEW! Blast off with your curious little astronaut as we explore planets, stars, and the wonders of space through stories in our new immersive portable planetarium. All children must be at least 3 years of age and accompanied by a paying adult. Program held indoors. Space is limited. All participants are seated on the floor. Activity number 24707. See all upcoming Preschool Planetarium Programs.
Feb. 7 - Gardening: Rain Garden - Design and Installation (Ages 50 & Older)
- Virtual Program, 2 to 3 p.m., FREE - With drought becoming more severe, we need to treat rainwater as a precious gift. Instead of letting it run off the property, learn to capture it safely. Activity number 24282.
Feb. 7 - Cards: Bridge Workshops – Responders / Openers (Ages 50 & Older)
- Matt Ross Community Center, 8101 Marty St., Overland Park, 4 to 6 p.m., $12 per person, $13 nonresidents - Become an in-demand partner with these bridge workshops. Fun and easy classes help you master a new subject each week. Workshops include handouts to take home. Activity number 24427. See other upcoming Bridge Workshops.
Feb. 8 - Games: Virtual Scattergories® (Ages 50 & Older)
- Virtual Program, 1 to 2 p.m., FREE - Think fast and write quicker in this fun and fast-paced game of alliterative words and categories! Zoom link will be emailed the day prior to the program. Zoom information is also on the receipt notes. Activity number 24503.
Feb. 8 - Bingo: We’ll Always Have Paris (Ages 50 & Older)
- Tomahawk Ridge Community Center, 11920 Lowell Ave., Overland Park, 1:30 to 3:30 p.m., $5 per person, $6 nonresidents - BINGO! Delight in food, prizes, fun, and 12 games of bingo. Variety of prizes awarded including gift certificates. Space is limited, register early by calling 913-831-3359. Cost of admission covers food and staff time to administer the bingo program. No additional charge for bingo. Activity number 24298. See all upcoming 50 Plus Bingo sessions.
Feb. 8 - Alzheimer's - 10 Warning Signs (Ages 50 & Older)
- Virtual Program, 2 to 3 p.m., FREE - Learn how to recognize common signs of Alzheimer's and dementia; how to approach someone about memory concerns; importance of early detection and benefits of diagnosis. Presentations by the Alzheimer's Association. Activity number 24820.
Feb. 8 - Museum: Retro Storytime - “The Little Red Caboose” (All Ages)
- Johnson County Museum at Johnson County Arts & Heritage Center, 8788 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, 10 to 10:45 a.m., $2 per person, $1.60 museum members - Preschoolers love stories from long ago, read by a special guest from the 1950s All-Electric House! A craft activity is included after the story ends. In this Little Golden Book from 1953, the charming red caboose wants nothing more than to be as popular as the big steam engine at the front of the train. Activity number 24527. See all upcoming Retro Storytime sessions for the current season. This program is also available as a field trip for groups - call for more information at 913-715-2570.
Feb. 9 - Little Critter’s Day Out: Nature Valentines (Ages 3-5)
- Ernie Miller Nature Center, 909 N. Kansas 7 Highway, Olathe, 9 a.m. to Noon, $20 per person, $22 nonresidents - Your Little Critter will enjoy three hours of fun and education once as you enjoy some personal time! Activities will vary but we will have an adventure, eat a snack, make a craft, play games, and see an animal visitor each day. Dress for the weather. Children must be potty trained. For more information call 913-826-2800. Advanced registration required. Activity number 24687. See all upcoming Little Critter’s Day Out sessions.
Feb. 10 - Preschool: Cuter than Cupid (Ages 2-5 with an Adult )
- Meadowbrook Park Clubhouse, 9101 Nall Ave., Prairie Village, 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., $8 per person, $9 nonresidents - Enjoy a morning of fun and games with the apple of your eye. Make valentines for the ones you love, play games, and enjoy a few sweets. Activity number 24788.
Feb. 10 - Museum: Kids' Day Out (Ages 6-10)
- Johnson County Museum at Johnson County Arts & Heritage Center, 8788 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., $38 per person - Come have fun when school is out! Discover history through hands-on activities and exploration of KidScape and museum exhibits, play games, and enjoy down time. Bring a lunch, snacks, and water bottle and dress for the weather - we will go outside if we can. We are open from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., but you may drop off and pick up at any time. Five-year-old children can be enrolled if currently attending kindergarten. Activity number 24538. For program questions, call the museum, 913-715-2570.
Feb. 10 - Special Interest: Travels with Grandad - Florida (Ages 50 & Older)
- Virtual Program, 10 to 11 a.m., FREE - NEW! + 5th of 5! Join presenter Hal Costly, for a series of virtual events as he shares his explorations of destinations he's experienced with his grandsons. Destinations for this travelogue: St. Augustine Florida and other Florida cities. Activity number 24867. See all upcoming Travels with Grandad sessions this season.
Feb. 11 - Art: Drawing (Ages 8-15)
- Johnson County Arts & Heritage Center, 8788 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, Saturdays, 10 a.m. to Noon., 2 sessions, $44 per person, $49 nonresidents - Want to learn the basics of drawing or just work on sharpening your current skills? Whether you want to upgrade your journaling, improve the foundational drawings for your paintings, or just sketch for fun; this class will walk you through the basic aspects of drawing. Activity number 23936.
Feb. 11 - Cross-stitch & Embroidery Basics (Ages 16 & Older)
- Johnson County Arts & Heritage Center, 8788 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, Saturdays, 1 to 3 p.m., 3 sessions, $66 per person, $73 nonresidents - Get an introduction to the world of cross-stitch and embroidery during this three-part class. We’ll show you basic stitches, tips, and tricks. No experience needed. Activity number 23935.