Dedicated to enhancing the quality of life in our community, Johnson County Park and Recreation District offers year-round program, activities, and special events for all ages!
For more information or to register online for the programs listed here, visit JCPRD.com/Register and complete a search for any of the activity numbers listed below. To register by phone, call 913-831-3359. For all in-person programs, physical distancing and COVID-19 safe practices will be encouraged.
A reminder that while JCPRD’s 50 Plus programs are primarily for people who are age 50 or older, interested parties who have not yet reached that magic age may still be able to attend. Persons 18 and older who are interested in a 50 Plus class are invited to call the 50 Plus Department at 913-826-2975 for space availability.
Here's a sampling of programs JCPRD has coming up for the week of Jan. 29-Feb. 4:
Jan. 30 - Art: Senior Arts Council (Ages 50 & Older)
- Roeland Park City Hall - 4600 W. 51st St., Roeland Park, 1 to 3 p.m. monthly on the last Monday of each month, $25 annual fee - New location during Roeland Park Community Center Remodel! Meet fellow artists and enthusiasts by becoming a member of the Senior Arts Council. Meetings include presentations by a featured artist, workshops, or demonstrations. An invitation for membership is extended for those 55 and older; visitors welcome. Members have the opportunity to display and sell their works at various exhibits. Meetings held the last Monday of the month through November. Activity number 24382. Call Bryce Moore at 913-642-1447 for more information.
Jan. 31 - Reading: Wanderlust Book Club - “Down Under” (Ages 50 & Older)
- Meadowbrook Park Clubhouse, 9101 Nall Ave., Prairie Village, 2 to 3 p.m., $5 per person, $6 nonresidents - 1st of a new season. Intertwine your love of travel and a good book with a travel-themed book club. Each month, enjoy the selected book from the list and conclude the month at the clubhouse with a group discussion on how it relates to your travel and how it may inspire your Wanderlust. This month’s book is “Down Under” by Bill Bryson. It is the driest, flattest, hottest, most desiccated, infertile, and climatically aggressive of all the inhabited continents and still Australia teems with life - a large portion of it quite deadly. In fact, Australia has more things that can kill you in a very nasty way than anywhere else. Ignoring such dangers - and yet curiously obsessed by them - Bill Bryson journeyed to Australia and promptly fell in love with the country. And who can blame him? The people are cheerful, extrovert, quick-witted, and unfailingly obliging: their cities are safe and clean and nearly always built on water; the food is excellent; the beer is cold, and the sun nearly always shines. Activity number 24814. See all the Wanderlust Book Club sessions this season.
Jan. 31 - Mystery Theatre (Ages 10-16)
- Johnson County Arts & Heritage Center, 8788 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, Tuesdays, 4:30 to 5:30 p.m., 6 sessions, $115 per person, $125 nonresidents - NEW! Come learn all things mystery theatre in this Sherlock-inspired weekday class. Students will create their own mystery show and series will culminate in a sharing for family and friends. Activity number 24119.
Feb. 1 - Yoga: Rise and Shine Yoga (Ages 16 & Older)
- Ernie Miller Nature Center, 909 N. Kansas 7 Highway, Olathe, Wednesdays, 6 to 7 a.m., 4 sessions, $32 per person, $35 nonresidents - Start your day with an invigorating yoga practice at Ernie Miller Nature Center. This is yoga for anybody. All are welcome, no experience necessary! This class will focus on gentle stretching, serenity, and rejuvenation, and will be tailored to individual abilities. Please bring your mat to class. Meet at the parking lot flagpole to walk into the building together at 6 a.m. Instructor is Experienced Registered Yoga Teacher Robin Olson. Activity number 23379.
Feb. 1 & 15 - Preschool Storytime: Animal Tales (Ages 2-6 with an Adult)
- Ernie Miller Nature Center, 909 N. Kansas 7 Highway, Olathe, select Wednesdays, 10:30 to 11 a.m., $3 per person - Join a park naturalist for animal stories and surprises geared for preschool age children. Come listen, learn, and meet a special animal friend every time. All children must be accompanied by a paying adult. Program held indoors. Feb. 1 session, Fossil Finders, activity number 24700; Feb. 15 session, S is for Snake, activity number 24701. See all upcoming Animal Tales Storytime sessions this season.
Feb. 2 - Little Critter’s Day Out: Dino Dig (Ages 3-5)
- Ernie Miller Nature Center, 909 N. Kansas 7 Highway, Olathe, 9 a.m. to Noon, $20 per person, $22 nonresidents - Your Little Critter will enjoy three hours of fun and education once as you enjoy some personal time! Activities will vary but we will have an adventure, eat a snack, make a craft, play games, and see an animal visitor each day. Dress for the weather. Children must be potty trained. For more information call 913-826-2800. Advanced registration required. Activity number 24686. See all upcoming Little Critter’s Day Out sessions.
Feb. 3 - Art: Homeschool Clay Creations (Ages 6-12)
- Johnson County Arts & Heritage Center, 8788 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, Fridays, 1 to 2:30 p.m., 4 sessions, $97 per person, $106 nonresidents - Come get creative and explore clay. Students will get the opportunity to throw on the wheel and hand-build with clay to hone their ceramics skills over a series of four classes. Students will end class with finished pieces ready to fire and glaze in our Art Studio. Activity number 23933.
Feb. 3 - Special Interest: Travels with Grandad - Wyoming (Ages 50 & Older)
- Virtual Program, 10 to 11 a.m., FREE - NEW! + 3rd of 5! Join presenter Hal Costly, for a series of virtual events as he shares his explorations of destinations he's experienced with his grandsons. Destinations for this travelogue: Dude ranch in Wyoming, North Dakota's Badlands, and South Dakota's Badlands. Activity number 24866. See all upcoming Travels with Grandad sessions this season.
Feb. 3 deadline - practices begin week of March 6 - JOCO Spring Soccer Leagues (5th/6th Grade League - Ages 10-12)
- Heritage Soccer Park, 17255 Lackman Road, Olathe, and/or Stump Park, 4751 Woodland Drive, Shawnee, times vary, $89 per player - $15 late fee for registering after the deadline - JOCO Soccer League Powered by Puma FC provides the community with a recreational soccer program for children with programs which will run on Saturday or Sunday at Heritage Soccer Park and Stump Park. This league will involve eight 9v9 games with two 30-minute halves with games beginning March 18 and concluding no later than June 4. Registration fee is $89 per player. For fifth graders, activity number 24918 for boys / 24919 for girls. For sixth graders, activity number 24920 for boys / 24921 for girls. See all youth outdoor spring soccer leagues offerings and registration deadline.
Feb. 4 - My Little Pony© Creative Drama (Ages 4-6)
- Johnson County Arts & Heritage Center, 8788 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, Saturdays, 10 to 11 a.m., 6 sessions, $88 per person, $96 nonresidents - In this creative drama series friendship is magic! Just like Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash, your kiddo will get to go on story journeys and adventures, as they create their own My Little Pony© characters and create their own kingdom, Equestria. Activity number 24121.