For more information or to register online for the programs listed here, visit JCPRD.com/Register and complete a search for any of the activity numbers listed below. To register by phone, call 913-831-3359. For all in-person programs, physical distancing and COVID-19 safe practices will be encouraged.
A reminder that while JCPRD’s 50 Plus programs are primarily for people who are age 50 or older, interested parties who have not yet reached that magic age may still be able to attend. Persons 18 and older who are interested in a 50 Plus class are invited to call the 50 Plus Department at 913-826-2975 for space availability.
Here's a sampling of programs JCPRD has coming up for the week of Dec. 4-10.
Dec. 5 - Art: Mini Ceramic Ornaments (Ages 16 & Older)
- Johnson County Arts & Heritage Center, 8788 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, 6 to 8 p.m., $30 per person, $33 nonresidents - Make a series of mini ceramics ornaments for the holidays while exploring different ceramics tools and techniques. Ornaments will be fired in the kiln and ready for pickup around two weeks after the class date. Activity number 22981.
Dec. 5 - Art: Mixed Media Series (Ages 50 & Older)
- Johnson County Arts & Heritage Center, 8788 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, 1 to 3 p.m., 2 sessions, $40 per person, $45 nonresidents - NEW! Make your own mixed media art with a variety of materials during this series. Students will explore different 2D and 3D materials by combining them to make cohesive art pieces throughout the class. No experience needed. All supplies included. Activity number 22806.
Dec. 5, 9 - Special Event: Candy Cane Hunt (Ages 5 and under with Parent or Guardian)
- Mill Creek Activity Center, 6518 Vista Dr., Shawnee, 10:30 a.m. to noon., $12 per person, $13 nonresidents) - Create a festive craft then go on the hunt for candy canes hidden around the facility. Take part in Open Playground too! This program is for children ages 5 and under. Activity number 23658. Dec. 9 session, activity number 23660. Pre-registration is required. For additional information call 913-826-2950.
Dec. 5 - Museum: Sensory Friendly Monday (All Ages)
- Johnson County Museum at Johnson County Arts & Heritage Center, 8788 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, 9 a.m. to Noon, $4 per person for ages up to 18, $6 per person for ages 18 to 59, and $5 per person for ages 60 and older - Come enjoy the Johnson County Museum and KidScape in a comfortable, low-sensory environment. This limited-occupancy monthly session is designed specifically for children with sensory processing differences and Autism Spectrum Disorders, and their families. We welcome visitors of all abilities and museum experience. We also welcome hand fidgets, comfort items, weighted blankets and vests, and mobility devices. Activity number 23495. For questions about this program, please call 913-715-2570.
Dec. 6 - Art: Macrame Wall Hanging (Ages 16 & Older)
- Johnson County Arts & Heritage Center, 8788 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, 6 to 8:30 p.m., 2 sessions, $40 per person, $44 nonresidents - NEW! Make your own custom macrame wall hanging! Students will learn a variety of braiding and knotting techniques during this miniseries. Our teaching artist will be there to guide you through the process, so no experience needed. Activity number 23005.
Dec. 7 - Yoga: Rise and Shine Yoga (Ages 16 & Older)
- Ernie Miller Nature Center, 909 N. Kansas 7 Highway, Olathe, Wednesdays, 6 to 7 a.m., 4 sessions, $32 per person, $35 nonresidents - Start your day with an invigorating yoga practice at Ernie Miller Nature Center. This is yoga for anybody. All are welcome, no experience necessary! This class will focus on gentle stretching, serenity, and rejuvenation, and will be tailored to individual abilities. Please bring your mat to class. Meet at the parking lot flagpole to walk into the building together at 6 a.m. Instructor is Experienced Registered Yoga Teacher Robin Olson. Activity number 23379.
Dec. 7 - Preschool Storytime: Animal Tales - Mrs. Claus (Ages 2-6 with an Adult)
- Ernie Miller Nature Center, 909 N. Kansas 7 Highway, Olathe, 10:30 to 11 a.m., $3 per person - Join a park naturalist for animal stories and surprises geared for preschool age children. Come listen, learn, and meet a special animal friend every time. All children must be accompanied by a paying adult. Program held indoors. Activity number 23456.
Dec. 8 - Little Critter’s Day Out: Surviving the Cold (Ages 3-5)
- Ernie Miller Nature Center, 909 N. Kansas 7 Highway, Olathe, 9 a.m. to Noon, $19 per person, $21 nonresidents - Your Little Critter will enjoy three hours of fun and education once as you enjoy some personal time! Activities will vary but we will have an adventure, eat a snack, make a craft, play games, and see an animal visitor each day. Dress for the weather. Children must be potty trained. For more information call 913-826-2800. Advanced registration required. Sign up for just the Thursdays you want or for all of them! Activity number 23471. To see all upcoming Little Critter’s Day Out sessions for the current season, click here.
Dec. 8 - Social Outing: DIY Ceramic Holiday Plate (Ages 50 & Older)
- Departs from Antioch Park, 6501 Antioch Rd., Merriam, 9:45 a.m. to 3:45 p.m., $42 per person, $44 nonresidents - NEW! Don your aprons and get ready to paint your next family heirloom…a holiday plate. Head to Paint, Glaze and Fire Ceramics & Coffee House in Overland Park to ignite your creativity. Enjoy a relaxed craft and café environment while socializing over brushstrokes. Will you create a beautiful dinner charger to be used as a platter for the holidays? Make the kids a “cookies from Santa” plate? Or gift it to that special someone? Use your imagination! Activity number 23194.
Dec. 9 - Art: Clay Creations (Ages 3-7 with an Adult)
- Johnson County Arts & Heritage Center, 8788 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, 10 to 10:45 a.m., $12 per child - Come get creative and explore clay. Students will get the opportunity to hand-build with clay and make one ceramics piece to be fired. Students will need an adult to attend class with them. Activity number 22792.
Dec. 9, 10, 11, 15, 16, 17, 18, 21, 22, &23 - “Seussical The Musical” (Rated G)
- Presented by Theatre in the Park indoors at The Black Box Theatre, located inside the Johnson County Arts & Heritage Center, 8788 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, times and ticket costs vary - The Cat in the Hat tells the story of Horton, an elephant who discovers a speck of dust that contains the Whos, including Jojo, a Who child sent off to military school for thinking too many "thinks." Horton faces a double challenge: not only must he protect the Whos from a world of naysayers and dangers, but he must guard an abandoned egg, left in his care by the irresponsible Mayzie La Bird. Although Horton faces ridicule, danger, kidnapping and a trial, the intrepid Gertrude McFuzz never loses faith in him. Ultimately, the powers of friendship, loyalty, family, and community are challenged and emerge triumphant. Perfect for the entire family! Buy tickets on site or online.
Dec. 10 - Art: Mini Ceramic Ornaments (Ages 6-17)
- Johnson County Arts & Heritage Center, 8788 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, 10 a.m. to Noon, $30 per child, $33 nonresidents - Make a series of mini ceramics ornaments for the holidays while exploring different ceramics tools and techniques. Ornaments will be fired in the kiln and ready for pickup around two weeks after the class date. Activity number 22979.
Dec. 10 - Art: Seussical Art (All Ages)
- Johnson County Arts & Heritage Center, 8788 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, 1 to 2 p.m., $5 per person - NEW! Come create fantastically fun art before you see Theatre in the Park's production of “Seussical The Musical” indoors at the Black Box Theater, located at the Johnson County Arts & Heritage Center. We’ll provide the supplies; you provide the creativity. Activity number 23003.