For more information or to register online for the programs listed here, visit JCPRD.com/Register and complete a search for any of the activity numbers listed below. To register by phone, call 913-831-3359.
A reminder that while JCPRD’s 50 Plus programs are primarily for people who are age 50 or older, interested parties who have not yet reached that magic age may still be able to attend. Persons 18 and older who are interested in a 50 Plus class are invited to call the 50 Plus Department at 913-826-2975 for space availability.
Here's a sampling of programs JCPRD has coming up for the week of May 22-28:
May 22 - Special Events: SMP Adventure Race (All Ages)
- Shawnee Mission Park, Shelter #4, 7900 Renner Road, Shawnee and Lenexa, 9 a.m. or 10 a.m. depending on event selected, fees vary - This event offers both two- and six-hour options, both for singles and teams of up to four, which may involve navigation, trekking (running or hiking), mountain biking, and paddling. There may also be surprise challenges for all courses. Athletes will have access only to the gear, food, and drink that they carry on their bike or in their pack. Topographic maps will be issued at check-in. The team that completes all the checkpoints (or more than other teams) with the fastest time will win the race. For volunteer opportunities, click here.
May 23, 27 - Gymnastics: Indoor Playground (Ages 1-5)
- Mill Creek Activity Center, 6518 Vista Dr., Shawnee, 11 a.m. to noon, $5 per person - Indoor Playground incorporates fun-filled playtime with obstacle courses and play gym equipment. Children up to 5 years of age will have the opportunity to focus their energy while developing strength and agility. Parent/legal guardian will be asked to sign a waiver and an adult must be present with their child at all times. Activity number 22008. Call 913-826-2950 for any questions. Friday session on May 27, activity number 22009.
May 26 - Bingo: National Parks (Ages 50 & Older)
- Meadowbrook Park Clubhouse, 9101 Nall Ave., Prairie Village, 1:30 to 3:30 p.m., $5 per person, $6 nonresidents - BINGO! Delight in food, prizes, fun and 12 games of bingo. A variety of prizes will be awarded including gift certificates. Please pre-register at least one week in advance. Payment is required at time of registration. For the enjoyment of all participants, children are not permitted to attend 50 Plus Bingos. Cost of admission covers snacks and staff time to administer the bingo program. No additional charge for bingo. Activity number 21799.
May 27 - Gardening: Rain/Shade Gardens (Ages 50 & Older)
- Meadowbrook Park Clubhouse, 9101 Nall Ave., Prairie Village, 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., $38 per person, $41 nonresidents - Do you have a place in your garden, yard or around your house that is nothing but shade? Do you plant things year after year and get nothing in return the next year? Join our landscape specialist from Meadowbrook Park and learn the basics of shade and plant a container to start your new shade journey. Pots, plants, and soil included. Activity number 21765.
May 28 - Gymnastics: Indoor Open Gym (Ages 4-17)
- Mill Creek Activity Center, 6518 Vista Dr., Shawnee, 12:30 to 1:30 p.m., $6 per person - Head to Mill Creek Activity Center for 60 minutes of unstructured, supervised gym time on all gymnastics apparatuses, trampoline, and our loose foam pit. A great opportunity for program participants to safely work on skills outside of class! Activity number 22037. Call 913-826-2950 for more information.