Most programs require advanced registration and do not accept walk-in participants. For more information or to register online for the programs listed here, visit JCPRD.com/Register and complete a search for any of the activity numbers listed below. To register by phone, call 913-831-3359. For all in-person programs, physical distancing and COVID-19 safe practices will be encouraged.
A reminder that while JCPRD’s 50 Plus programs are primarily for people who are age 50 or older, interested parties who have not yet reached that magic age may still be able to attend. Persons 18 and older who are interested in a 50 Plus class are invited to call the 50 Plus Department at 913-826-2975 for space availability.
Here's a sampling of programs JCPRD has coming up for the week of May 15-21:
May 15 - Astronomy: A Total Eclipse of the Moon (Ages 5 & Older)
- Ernie Miller Park, 909 N. Kansas 7 Highway, Olathe, 9:30 - 11 p.m., $8 per person, $9 nonresidents - Join us for the total lunar eclipse and learn about how this phenomenon occurs with hands-on activities. Hear lunar stories from around the world and enjoy a spring night out in the park. Program will proceed even with overcast skies. Advanced registration required. Each person must register and pay, including adults. Activity number 21551.
May 16 - Art: Ceramic Planter (Ages 16 & Older)
- Johnson County Arts & Heritage Center, 8788 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, Mondays, 6 to 8:30 p.m., 2 sessions, $45 per person, $50 nonresidents - Learn how to hand build ceramics to make your own planter made specifically for an air plant. Air plant included. Activity number 20711
May 16 - Yoga: Yoga (Ages 14 & Older)
- Mill Creek Activity Center, 6518 Vista Dr., Shawnee, Mondays, 5:30 to 6:20 p.m., 4 sessions, $32 per person, $35 nonresidents - LOW INTENSITY: Improve circulation, regulate your metabolism, and increase flexibility and coordination with this Yoga class. You will lengthen your muscles while increasing both muscle and bone density. Yoga participants of all levels are welcome. Join us for this class, and find out all the benefits of Yoga in your life. For additional information please contact (913) 826-2950. Activity number 18459. Wednesday session beginning May 18 (5 sessions, $40 per person, $44 nonresidents), activity number 18641.
May 17 - Cards: Bidding Review (Ages 50 & Older)
- Matt Ross Community Center, 8101 Marty St., Overland Park, Tuesdays, 4 to 5:30 p.m., 4 sessions, $41 per person, $45 nonresidents - Take your game to the next level. Lessons on bidding basics of no trump, one of a major suit, one of a minor suit, competitive bidding, and more. Activity number 21578.
May 18 - Preschool: Up, Up and Away (Ages 2-5 with an Adult)
- Meadowbrook Park Clubhouse, 9101 Nall Ave., Prairie Village, 10:30 to 11:15 a.m., $7 per person, $8 nonresidents - Let’s go fly a kite, see paper airplane soar and Frisbees© fly. Anything that flies is the name of the game today. Children will make a kite and paper airplane. Snacks will be served. Activity number 21939.
May 19 - Fitness: Virtual Zumba Special Pops (Ages 14 & Older)
- Virtual Program, Thursdays, 6:30 to 7:20 p.m., 5 sessions, $25 per person, $28 nonresidents - Join the party! While this class is primarily for the JCPRD Special Populations Group, anyone is welcome to participate in this virtual program. Zumba aerobics incorporates Salsa, Belly Dance, West African, and other World Dance moves in a FUN, party-like exercise format. You don’t have to know how to dance to do Zumba. The easy-to-follow routines feature aerobics/fitness interval training with a combination of fast and slow rhythms that tone and sculpt the body. This fun, unique, easy, and effective workout is for everyone! No previous dance experience necessary. Activity number 18476. Call 913-826-2950 for additional information.
May 19 - Games: Luau Lunch & Bingo (Ages 50 & Older)
- Roeland Park Community Center, 4850 Rosewood Dr., 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m., $17 per person, $19 nonresidents - Aloha! Set sail with us to a tropical paradise where we’ll enjoy lunch and play 12 games of bingo. Prizes include gift cards to Hawaiian Bros restaurant. Pre-registration required. Doors open at 11 am. Cost of admission covers food and staff time to administer the bingo program. No additional charge for bingo. Activity number 21848.
May 19 - Exercise: Strength and Stretching Virtual (Ages 50 & Older)
- Virtual Program, Thursdays, 11:30 a.m. to 12:20 p.m., 5 sessions, $40 per person, $44 nonresidents - A stretching and strengthening class designed to increase strength and range of motion helping with activities of daily living. This class will take place on Zoom every Thursday. If you are unable to attend class at the scheduled time, you can request a link to watch the recorded class within seven days. Activity number 21695.
May 20 - Gymnastics: Ninja Training (Ages 6-12)
- Mill Creek Activity Center, 6518 Vista Dr., Shawnee, 4:30 to 6 p.m., $25 per person, $27.50 nonresidents - No matter their skill level, everyone can have a blast learning to be ninjas! Training will emphasize improving strength and agility through obstacle challenges and conditioning. Activity number 21459.
May 20 - Registration Deadline - play begins June 2 - Volleyball: NCF Thursday Women's Power League (Ages 18 & Older)
- New Century Fieldhouse, 551 New Century Parkway, near Gardner, Thursdays, 6:15 to 10:15 p.m., 8 sessions, $235 per team - This Thursday night league will play eight games through July 28. Activity number 22329. Go to jcprd.com/sports for more information, or call 913-826-2850.
May 21 - Turkey Creek Festival featuring Creek Chic Arts and Crafts Market (All Ages)
- Antioch Park, 6501 Antioch Road, Merriam, 10 am to 4 pm - Come join the fun! The city of Merriam’s Turkey Creek Festival is an annual tradition in Antioch Park. This full day of family entertainment features free kids' activities, live music, 5k walk/run, food trucks, and so much more! As part of the event, JCPRD’s Creek Chic Arts and Crafts Market features local artists and makers. Discover handmade, vintage, and repurposed treasures as you explore the festival.