Historic Properties

The Collection: Johnson County's Built Environment

historic houseHistoric structures dot Johnson County’s landscape, and over the years, a number of efforts have been made to document their existence and preserve the county’s architectural resources.
From 1991-2008, the Johnson County Museum surveyed a large percentage of the pre-1950 architectural resources in the county. The survey and resulting data provides a basis for comprehensive preservation planning and for education about the county’s historic resources. An executive summary details the highlights, and the full 150-plus page report is available by request. Photographs of each individual property surveyed – all 9,213 of them -- are also accessible via theonline database. For more information about the Johnson County Museum's historic building survey project email or call 913-715-2550.

Johnson County properties listed on the National Register of Historic Places:

The following properties are on the Kansas Register of Historic Places:

Caenen Castle, 12407 Johnson Drive, Shawnee (1904-1907)
Dutton-Thomas-Soule Farm (also known as the Palmberg farm), 7925 Sunflower Road, De Soto (1884)
Edgerton Grange Hall, 404 E. Nelson, Edgerton (1904, altered1930s)
William C. Harkey House, 224 E. Main, Gardner (1902)
George Hodges House, 425 S. Harrison, Olathe (1892, altered 1921)
Hycrest, 505 E. Cedar, Olathe (1881, altered 1919)
Lackman-Thompson Farm, 11180 Lackman, Lenexa (1887)
Graham Rogers House, 6741 Mackey, Overland Park (c. 1845)
Spring Hill Historic District, Main Street, Spring Hill (1887-1888, 1903-1905)
Stilwell Grade School, 6415 W. 199th St, Stilwell (1911)
Westwood Hills Historic District, (1923)