The Overland Park Historical Society was organized on September 30, 1994 for the purpose of identifying and preserving the history of Overland Park and the surrounding area.
In September of 1998, the Society moved into its current headquarters - the Strang Carriage House. The City of Overland Park renovated the building, and the members of the Overland Park Historical Society. raised money and donated many hours of labor to finish and furnish the interior. The limestone structure, built circa 1910, originally housed the personal vehicles of William Strang, the founder of Overland Park,and the family of his chauffeur lived upstairs. It is staffed by volunteers at scheduled hours.