The Team Cecilia Spirit of Multisport Award
This award seeks to recognize individuals who exemplify the positive spirit of the sport through acts of sportsmanship, leadership, and their efforts to grow a more diverse and inclusive multisport field.
IN HONOR OF CECILIA NIEMANN
Cecilia had an infectious smile and bright eyes that brought a joyful light to everyone around her. Despite having Cerebral Palsy, which impacted her physical and verbal abilities, as well as caused significant health challenges, she lived an active, adventurous, and full life. She refused to be defined by her limitations, and instead spent her life displaying her abilities to family, friends, and community to promote change and inclusion for ALL.
Over the years, Cecilia completed countless road races, half marathons, marathons, and triathlons. Her multisport debut came in 2013 at the Open Options Shawnee Mission Triathlon & Duathlon setting the stage for inclusion in Kansas City area races. While breaking down barriers, Team Cecilia enjoyed years of being welcomed, and often recruited, to participate in most of the area’s triathlons.
Triathlon is a sport unlike any other. Triathletes come in all shapes, sizes, speeds, strengths, abilities, and experience levels. It is one of the most welcoming - to newbies, older athletes, youth, experienced, pros, and those with challenges - as few enter the sport as masters of all three disciplines (swim, bike, run).
For Cecilia, triathlon was where she showed perseverance and determination, despite her challenges, that inspired fellow athletes. She motivated many to enter the sport and encouraged everyone to have fun and support one another. In addition, she made the triathlon community aware that even athletes with few words and different abilities hold a strong desire to belong, to be included, to be heard, and to be acknowledged.
Past award winners are not eligible for nomination. Past honorable mention recipients are eligible.
Please nominate a peer who exemplifies the spirit of this award. Nominations are to be submitted to the Race Committee by June 30th, 2023. The recipient should display the following characteristics, supported by examples within the application.
• Nominee must encompass principles of good sportsmanship with regard to other competitors and persons involved in the Kansas City multisport community such as: dependability, integrity, character, inclusivity, and respect.
• Nominee must demonstrate exceptional involvement and leadership in the Kansas City multisport community with regard to furthering diversity and inclusion in the sport.
• Nominee must exemplify an unwavering passion for the multisport lifestyle.
The Shawnee Mission Triathlon and Duathlon Committee will select one annual award winner and up to two honorable mentions from the submitted applications.
• Date application is available online: 4/1/2023
• Last date applications will be accepted: 6/20/23
• Committee review of applications: 6/21/23– 7/1/23
• Award recipient announcement: 7/9/23 (Race Day)