Sensory Friendly Mondays
Come enjoy the Johnson County Museum and KidScape in a comfortable, low-sensory environment. This limited-occupancy session is designed specifically for children with sensory processing differences and Autism Spectrum Disorders, and their families. We welcome visitors of all abilities and museum experience. We also welcome hand fidgets, comfort items, weighted blankets and vests, and mobility devices.
This program is offered in partnership with Britain Development, a program of Advent Health Shawnee Mission. Pre-registration is strongly encouraged. Register here.
Sensory friendly days are offered monthly on the first Monday of the month (unless closed for a holiday), from 9:00am to 12:00pm.
Upcoming Sensory Days:
- June 7
- July 12
- August 2
- September 13
- October 4
- November 1
- December 6
What to expect
During sensory friendly times, changes are made to the museum’s exhibit spaces, including KidScape, with the intention of helping make the museum more accessible and enjoyable for children with ASD and sensory challenges.
These changes include:
- Offering sensory bags to be used during your visit
- Hand dryers will be turned off and paper towels will be available in all bathrooms
- Offering a sensory-friendly map, visual checklist, and social narrative guides to the museum and KidScape
- Offering additional signage to assist in navigation and aid in understanding Museum rules and expectations
- Having fewer guests than normal
Guest are welcome to:
- Come and go as they need
- Bring comfort items, including fidget devices, headphones, weighted vests
- Use the designated quiet space
Before your visit
The following documents have been designed to help visitors know what to expect when visiting the museum. These documents can be used to prepare for our Sensory-Friendly Days or anytime you visit the museum.
The Sensory map shows the places in the museum where light and sound items are located.
The Social narrative is a visual step-by-step guide to visiting the museum.
The Visual checklist is a customizable to-do list for visitors to plan their visit to the museum.