Become American Red Cross Lifeguard Certified
Certification offered through Johnson County Park and Recreation District's Aquatics Department teaches the duties and responsibilities of lifeguards to prevent and respond to aquatic emergencies and the procedures to carry them out in a professional manner. Certifications include: American Red Cross Water Park Lifeguard, First-Aid, and CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer. All certifications received are valid for 2 years.
Course Description and Format
Blended Learning combines online learning with in-person skill sessions conducted by an American Red Cross Certified Instructor. All courses held at the Shawnee Mission School District Aquatic Center follow the blended learning format unless otherwise stated. Participants will need to complete the eLearning units before attending the first night of the course. Participants will get access to the American Red Cross eLearning shortly after completing the form linked at the top of the page. Important points on this format include:
- Online sessions are self-paced and can be completed 24/7 from any location with internet access.
- Online sessions teach the knowledge base needed for the in-person sessions, maximizing in-water time for rescue skills.
- In-person skill sessions typically span 3 consecutive days and will require near 100% attendance time to complete certification.
- Must be a minimum of 15 years old on or before the final scheduled session of the course.
- Must have completed the online portion of the course as an introduction before the first day of the on-site course. Please fill out the online form and you will be contacted to receive the online course link.
- Must swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2-minutes using legs only. Candidates should place their hands under their armpits.
- Swim 20-yards, surface dive to a minimum depth of 7 feet, retrieve a 10 pound object, return to surface, and swim back to starting point with object within one minute and forty seconds. Goggles not permitted.
Upcoming Certification Courses
(All courses are reserved for those interested in working for Johnson County Park and Recreation District)
We are always scheduling new American Red Cross Lifeguard certification courses. Before attending any of the classes listed below, please fill out the online form linked at the top of this page, and we will contact you with course preparation information including the online portion of the certification requirements. If you are unavailable for all of the courses listed please still fill out the form and we will contact you when new courses are scheduled.
October Certification Course
Friday, October 18th 4:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m
Saturday, October 19th 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Sunday, October 20th 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Lenexa Rec Center
17201 W 87th St Pkwy, Lenexa, KS 66219
Benefits of Becoming a JCPRD Lifeguard
- Year Round Facility! Not just a summer job!
- Staff is supported by Head Guards and Supervisors on-site.
- Fun place to work!
- Opportunity to take on leadership roles and develop new skills.
- Freedom to grow and take on additional roles, such as teaching swim lessons or guarding at our summer beaches.
- Continued training on safety and rescue skills through the in-service program.
- Flexible hours using features like availability based scheduling and an online schedule system.