The Johnson County Park & Recreation District does not measure ice thickness on its lakes, ponds or streams and is not in a position to determine whether it is safe to go onto any ice that may be present. While there are no restrictions prohibiting going onto the ice, the District does not encourage the public to do so as ice is hazardous. There are numerous web sites and other sources of information regarding ice safety and the District strongly suggests the public review this information prior to going onto any ice covered bodies of water located in District parks.
Bicycle Safety Tips
- Wear proper safety equipment (i.e., helmet).
- See and be seen, wear highly visible clothing.
- Avoid bicycling at night. If you ride at night,
wear reflective clothing
and have a headlight and taillight.
- Stay alert. Expect the unexpected.
- Exercise caution and constantly be aware of the
traffic around you.
- Obey all traffic laws and/or trail rules.
- Make sure your bicycle is in good working condition.
Safe Walking and Jogging Tips
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times.
- Lock your vehicle & walk confidently.
- Look people in the eye as they pass.
- Wear shoes and clothing that allow freedom
- Don’t wear headphones while exercising.
(Listen to your your surroundings.)
- Don’t leave viewable valuables such
as purses/wallets/cell phones inside.
- Carry a cell phone in case of emergency.
- If approached by a stranger don’t
allow yourself to be distracted and
reply from a distance
and keep responses to questions brief and businesslike.
- In case of trouble yell “fire”
to attract attention.
Safe Picnicking Tips
We strive to keep our parks clean and safe for your health and enjoyment. Even so, to reduce your chances of exposure to germs or chemicals we encourage you to use general common sense when using our picnic facilities. We recommend using table coverings, keeping food on plates and in containers, and cleaning hands thoroughly before eating and after direct contact with benches, tables, and other public surfaces.
Park Police Officer on Duty
Non-Emergency (913) 782-0720
Witness an Incident:
Dispatcher (913) 782-0720
Chief Dan Field
Park Police Chief
Park Police Headquarters
Shawnee Mission Park
7900 Renner Road
Shawnee Mission, KS 66219-9723